Verbose troubleshooting information can be reviewed using the vSphere Client:
- In the vSphere Client, select Home > Solutions and Applications > VMware Data Recovery.
- Enter the virtual machine name or IP address of the VMware Data Recovery backup appliance and click Connect.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Hold down the Shift key, and click the Log link. The Verbose log interface appears.
- Click Client Log, Appliance Operations Log, or Appliance Assert Log tab on the right-side pane to view the corresponding logs.
Accessing logs using the command line in the Data Recovery appliance
If the vSphere Client of Data Recovery Client plug-in is not working or unable to connect to the Data Recovery appliance, logs can be reviewed directly on the console in the VDR appliance.
For more information on logging in to the console of the VDR appliance, see the Power On the Backup Appliance section of theVMware Data Recovery Administration Guide.
An overview of VMware Data Recovery operations is stored in the log file:
/var/vmware/datarecovery/operations_log.utxNote: The operations log file is stored in UTF16 format. To review this log file on the console, use a command similar to:
iconv -f utf16 -t utf8 /var/vmware/datarecovery/operations_log.utx | less
Verbose troubleshooting information is stored in four log files:
- Data Recovery backup engine:
- Deduplication operations:
- Snapshot and hot-add operations:
- Data Recovery backup engine failures:
/var/vmware/datarecovery/assert_log.utxNote: The assert log file is stored in UTF16 format. To review this log file on the console, use a command similar to:
iconv -f utf16 -t utf8 /var/vmware/datarecovery/assert_log.utx | less